I came across this recipe for black bean brownies which were made with 3 eggs. I just took out the eggs, and added in the equivalent of 3 flax "eggs".
- 3/4 cup dried black beans, rinsed, and soaked overnight in water in the fridge,
- or use 1 can black beans (Eden foods canned beans are packed in tins that are BPA-free)
- 3 flax "eggs" --> 3 Tbsp. flax meal + 8 Tbsp. warm water, mix and let sit for at least 15 minutes to "gel up"
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil, I used a mixture of 3 Tbsp. canola + 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar/muscovado/sucanat
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup GF oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use EnjoyLife brand)
If using dried beans: drain soaked beans, place in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour until beans are tender. Drain. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a 11x7in. pan with parchment paper or grease with cooking oil.
- Add the cooled cooked beans to food processor and blend until a smooth paste has formed.
- Add the flax eggs and oil to processor, pulse to combine.
- Add sugar, cocoa, almond meal, vanilla, and baking powder. Process until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and pulse until mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. I first baked mine in a 9x9in. pan and it took quite awhile for them to bake! Definitely took over an hour. If baking in an 11x7in. pan it might take less time to bake. Let cool before slicing!