Friday, February 10, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

In the years that I've spent browsing recipes on the inter-webs I've always come across a recipe for brownies... made with black beans. The thought of beans in brownies always grossed me out, to be completely honest. But I'm here to tell you that adding beans to brownies is totally NOT gross! I promise. The beans add a moist fudgy-ness to the brownies and your tongue won't even be able to detect them!

I came across this recipe for black bean brownies which were made with 3 eggs. I just took out the eggs, and added in the equivalent of 3 flax "eggs".


  • 3/4 cup dried black beans, rinsed, and soaked overnight in water in the fridge, 
  • 3 flax "eggs" --> 3 Tbsp. flax meal + 8 Tbsp. warm water, mix and let sit for at least 15 minutes to "gel up"
  • 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil, I used a mixture of 3 Tbsp. canola + 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1 cup sugar/muscovado/sucanat
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup GF oat flour
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use EnjoyLife brand)
If using dried beans: drain soaked beans, place in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour until beans are tender. Drain. Let cool.

  1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a 11x7in. pan with parchment paper or grease with cooking oil.
  2. Add the cooled cooked beans to food processor and blend until a smooth paste has formed.
  3. Add the flax eggs and oil to processor, pulse to combine.
  4. Add sugar, cocoa, almond meal, vanilla, and baking powder. Process until well combined.
  5. Add chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and pulse until mixed. 
  6. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. I first baked mine in a 9x9in. pan and it took quite awhile for them to bake! Definitely took over an hour. If baking in an 11x7in. pan it might take less time to bake. Let cool before slicing!

8 comments:

  1. Wow. These black been brownies look amazing. I was also never interested in the regular brownies...but these ones have a great ingredient list ! MIAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it would hold up with Sorgum or fava bean flour instead of Oat and Almond flours? I'm allergic to both, but would like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might. Are you allergic to all nuts/seeds? If not I would think you could just sub the almond flour with another nut meal (walnut, pumpkin seed, etc.). For the oat flour, you could probably use sorghum or fava bean flour, or even brown rice flour. I have to admit I don't have much experience using fava bean flour, however. Let me know what you try and if it works out for you! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I'm allergic to Almond and Hazelnut, as well as Rice, but I was thinking of trying Millet flour with this in place of the nut flour. It's got a almost nutty taste to it, and seems to work well as a replacement. Fava bean flour should work in place of the oat, or I just picked up a black bean flour, though that may make the brownies taste too bean-like.
      I'll give it a try over the weekend and let you know how it comes out.

      Delete
  3. i am totally bookmarking this recipe! i love how it is gluten free and vegan. :) i've been looking for a fudgey black bean brownie! mm i would love to add dark chocolate chips into this batter! have a great day ashley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were very delicious. I used only coconut oil and they turned out great. I took them to a BBQ so my gluten-free/vegan kids would have a treat and they were the first dessert gone. :) I sprinkled a few chocolate chips on top instead of adding them to the batter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first made these I was afraid of using all coconut oil because I thought it might make them "runny" in warm temperatures. Very glad to hear that these worked out well for you!

      Delete