Friday, August 10, 2012

Raspberry Peach Fruit Leather


Since we're knee-deep in summer right about now, I can only hope that you're making the most of it by enjoying many bucketfuls of fresh fruit! For the bucketfuls of fruit that won't fit in your mouth, stretch that berry goodness by making some fruit leather.

Have you ever looked at the ingredients in fruit roll-ups that you buy in the store? It's ridiculous!
  • corn syrup
  • more corn syrup
  • sugar
  • preservatives
  • artificial coloring and flavoring
Why not make something at home that won't put your kids in an early grave!



Ingredients
  • 1 peach (washed, peeled if desired)
  • 1 cup organic raspberries (I used frozen)
  • 3/4 cup organic applesauce (or about two of those little applesauce cups)
  • 2 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar (optional) but raspberries can be a bit tart, so I suggest you add the sweetener
  1. Since I hate berry seeds, I blended my frozen raspberries with a tiny bit of water in a blender. Then, using a fine mesh strainer, strained the blended raspberries to get the seeds out.
  2. Return strained raspberry puree to blender. Add the applesauce and honey to blender. Blend for a few seconds. 
  3. Take a little bit of coconut oil (or cooking spray, even) and rub it on your dehydrator sheets. 
  4. Spread the fruit mixture over two dehydrator sheets. (Mine have big circles in the middle of them). 
  5. Dehydrate for 6-8 hours at around 120-125 degrees F. The temperature and timing will depend on your dehydrator. Like I said, my dehydrator has circular sheets with holes in the middle. You may have to adjust! Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, this looks like another great recipe! I loooove making fruit roll ups (and my coworkers loved devouring any that survived the trip from my dehydrator to work -- more often, though, I'd eat the entire batch straight off the sheet).

    Looks like we have the same dehydrator! I hate those holes in the middle for stuff like this but that's definitely a minor inconvenience considering how much more expensive those square models are.

    ReplyDelete