Friday, July 20, 2012

Sunrise Energize - juice


To be honest, the end result of juicing isn’t all that photogenic (at least when you're adding carrots to the greens). Mixing neon orange carrot juice to electric green gives way to an unappetizing muddy-brown color. But I can assure you that the juice tastes much better than it looks!

So … here’s a tasty juice I made the other day.  Usually when I first wake up I don’t want a juice that’s heavy on the greens. I save those juices for later in the day. This juice is definitely a sweet one! Here is a nutritional breakdown of the juice (with the exception of the fiber part): Holy vitamin A!!!!

Sunrise Energize

  • 1/2 beet (I used chioggia, any kind will work)
  • 1 cucumber, peeled if not organic
  • 1 lemon, peeled
  • 3 carrots
Wash all fruits and veggies. Cut to fit size of your juicer's chute. Juice. Add a few ice cubes and enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. Yay! I just bought a new juicer this morning (my last one broke months ago), and I just happened to pick all of these ingredients up when I was out. I know what recipe I'm making as soon as I get home! And, look how pretty those beets are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, we dug it! Great beginner recipe for sure. And ours was a lovely red/pink, thanks to the kind of beets we used! Definitely photogenic. Thanks for sharing another great juice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! So glad you liked it. Just out of curiosity, what kind of juicer did you decide to go with?

      Delete
    2. I set out to buy the Breville JE98XL, but wound up with their compact juice fountain instead. The store promised to let me exchange it if I wasn't satisfied, and I'm not sure if I'm going to take them up on that yet. It's a great juicer, definitely better than the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth I used to have, but the pulp catcher is a little too small for the 32-ounce servings I like to make. What about you?

      Delete
    3. I ended up getting the Cuisinart CJE-1000 juicer. It has 5 speeds which is great and so far I'm pretty satisfied with it. I hate to clean it after I'm done juicing, but I think it's a pretty common feeling from anyone who juices!

      Delete
    4. Absolutely! I started juicing en masse, hoping to maybe clean the juicer once a week instead of every day, and the juice actually kept really well in the fridge for a week. I know hardcore juicers talk about oxidation diminishing the freshness and therefore healthiness of juices, buuuut... I dunno, it's nice to just grab a bottle and go!

      Delete