Sunday, July 24, 2011

Choc. Chip Banana Oat Cake (GF,V)

FYI: Extremely ripe black bananas are needed for this recipe! Yellow ones simply will not do.


I remember when I was little how my mom would always have some black bananas laying around the kitchen. I was always so disgusted by them. Little did I know that these same bananas were the ones that went into my mom's awesome banana bread that I just could not get enough of.

But this isn't a recipe for banana bread. Put those too-ripe-bananas to good use in this recipe from Oh She Glows. I found myself eating slices of this "cake" for breakfast. It definitely didn't disappoint!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups GF oats, processed into a flour (I actually just used 2 cups of GF oat flour)
  • 1/2 cup GF oats (not processed)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8th tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp. whole cane sugar (or sucanat)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 medium RIPE bananas, peeled
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup soymilk or almond milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Fold in: 
    • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
    • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease an 8" cake pan or a pie pan. If you are processing your oats into flour yourself, do that now.
  2. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together well. 
  3. In another bowl, mix together the oil, applesauce, almond milk, and vanilla. Add in the two peeled bananas and smush into the wet ingredients.
  4. Add the wet mix to the dry and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
  5. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 36 minutes at 350F, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting.
  6. Once cooled, top with PB Banana Glaze. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
PB Glaze
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 Tbsp. peanut butter (I used crunchy, but I don't recommend it!)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Mash banana in a bowl until smooth. Add in PB and mix until combined. Try microwaving the peanut butter first. Add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth and fully combined. Store in fridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment