This is one of my favorite smoothies to make! It's cool, creamy, and since it has a ton of protein it's especially good to gulp after a tough workout.
This smoothie requires a little bit of planning ahead due to the soaked raw almonds. If you don't have the time to soak the almonds beforehand (you really should, though!), just substitute 2 Tbsp. of almond butter.
- 1 frozen banana, chopped
- 3/4 cup vanilla soymilk (or almond milk)
- 1-2 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight and then peeled
- 1 Tbsp. rice protein powder (I use NutriBiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla)
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa or maca powder (optional)
1. Peel the soaked almonds and put into blender.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend!
Why should I soak raw nuts?
Check out this video by Ani Phyo, she explains it better than I could ever hope to. Basically, the raw nuts have enzyme inhibitors so that the nuts remain dormant. Soaking the nuts in water removes these inhibitors and this allows the nut to germinate . This makes it way more nutritious (and apparently easier to digest?)--> Check it out: