Friday, February 11, 2011

GF Betty Crocker Brownies - vegan attempt FAIL

So I've been curious about how the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix would work if I tried to substitute something for the eggs. The back of the box says to use 2 eggs, so I just subbed 1/2 cup of applesauce. Meh. 

In the trash  : (
As you can see, these didn't work out well, but that didn't stop me from salvaging what I could : ) I'm still new at this whole vegan baking thing, so I might have just made the wrong decision as to what I used for an egg sub. Flax seed might have been a better choice? Anyways... trial-and-error.


One problem may have also been the size of pan I used, which was 9" x 9". When I put the batter in the pan it just seemed like it was spread out too thin. Maybe if I had baked these in a smaller pan so that the brownies were thicker?

On another note, I usually like my desserts to have at least a little bit of healthy, good-for-you stuff in them but this mix was just straight up processed starches and sugar! Eww. I mean YUM, but really, eww. The first ingredient listed is SUGAR.  But if you're fiending for some sugar... I suppose these would do!

2 comments:

  1. You might try Cherrybrook Kitchen's brownie mix. All of their mixes are vegetarian without eggs, dairy, honey or animal products or by-products. (They would be considered vegan as well except that their frostings contain confectionary sugar, a processed sugar, which some vegans object to.)
    They have a great new line of gluten-free mixes:
    http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/products/gf.php
    You can find them at Whole Foods Market, Jewel-Osco, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information! I rarely bake from box mixes, but next time I do I'll check out this brand.

    ReplyDelete