1.) Gluten Free Goddess - Kicked Up Coconut Split Pea Soup
2.) 101 cookbooks - Coconut Red Lentil Soup
I also had a new jar of Thai Kitchen's Green Curry Paste that I've been waiting to try out but didn't really know what to do with it. So, in blending the 2 recipes above, I came up with my own delicious lentil-y green curry-y soup. Please excuse the bland photo. It tastes much better than it looks!
- 1 cup green split peas, rinsed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed until water is clear
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or water + salt)
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1-2 tsp. Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
- 1/2-1 can of coconut milk (I used about 1/2 a can, and then used the leftover for a tropical smoothie!)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (optional)
- Place the rinsed split green peas in a large pot of water or vegetable broth (enough to cover the peas) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- After peas have simmered 30 minutes, add the garlic, red lentils, curry paste, other spices, any remaining broth that wasn't used for simmering the peas, and coconut milk.
- Simmer, uncovered, for another 20-30 minutes until desired consistency is reached. I like this better when it's thicker, so I simmer for a little bit longer.
- I served this over some brown rice and also thought it was good with some fresh lime juice drizzled on top!