Friday, October 7, 2011

Biscuits (GF,V, and yeast-free!)

How many of you have problems digesting yeast? I never seemed to until recently. Needless to say, I didn't think that I was going to be able to enjoy most breads ever again. I couldn't accept that fate. What kind of life would I be living? But... I came across a recipe that used Bob's Red Mill AP GF flour mix, which I don't usually have on hand. I did, however, have Pamela's GF Bread Mix (which is vegan, unlike her baking and pancake mix which has buttermilk powder in it, if I remember correctly).

So, I figured I could sub in Pamela's mix for Bobs Red Mill. And you know what... it worked! These lil biscuits were seriously so good I ate the majority of them within 24 hours of making them! No joke. These are perfect. And oh so good smothered with jam!
  • 2 cups Pamela's GF Bread Mix
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegan butter (Earth balance)
  • 3/4 cup almond milk, rice milk, other nondairy milk
    • FYI: Pamela's mix already has xanthan gum and salt mixed in! Score!

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet (or 2) with parchment paper. 
  2. In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Cut the vegan butter into the dry mixture until crumbly. I just used a fork. If you are super fancy and having a pastry cutter use that right here!
  3. In the middle of the bowl pour in the milk. Stir to combine.
  4. Flour a work surface. Turn the dough onto floured surface and knead a few times. Pat the dough down until about 1/2" in thickness. 
  5. Using a small glass, cut circles out of the dough. Place dough on parchment paper.
  6. Bake 11 minutes, or until light golden brown in color. 



No comments:

Post a Comment