Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chewy Nutty Almond cookies

In a previous post I mentioned that I had tried a cookie recipe from the Gluten Free Goddess. These cookies ended up tasting just like caramel! I had to freeze half the batch just to ensure that I wouldn't end up eating them all at once! This tactic didn't really work out because I ended up thawing out the cookies shortly after freezing them... at least I made a legitimate effort, right?
I made some modifications to the GFG recipe - using Honeyville's blanched almond flour instead of Bob's Red Mill. Sometimes I find the taste of sorghum flour a bit too strong so I used a mixture of sorghum flour AND brown rice flour, subbed canola oil for the olive oil, and used a flax "egg".


Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl:
  • 1 cup Honeyville blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch
  • 1.5 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. sea salt (NOT kosher salt)
  • 1.5 tsp. xanthan gum
Mix/"cream" these together in another bowl:
  • 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 1/2 cup sucanat
  • 1/3 cup canola oil (or light olive oil)
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. agave nectar (or honey, maple syrup, etc.)
  • 2 Tbsp. flax meal mixed with 6 Tbsp. water

  1. Make flax "egg" and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, or until it starts to get gel-like. Then mix with other liquid ingredients. 
  2. Add the dry ingredients mixture to the creamed sugar mix.
  3. If too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp. almond milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
  4. Stir until mix has a dough-like consistency.
  5. Stir in, by hand, 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or pecans, hazelnuts, other favorite nut)
  6. Cover bowl and chill the dough for 30 minutes in fridge.
  7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 Celsius) and prepare baking sheet. Line sheet with parchment paper.
  8. Scoop little balls of dough onto lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart, and press dough balls down just a bit to flatten.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for about 18-19 minutes, until cookies are golden. I ended up slightly burning my first batch, and ended up being WAY TOO hard to eat after they cooled. Learn from my mistake ; )
  10. Remove cookies with spatula, place on cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment