I made some modifications to the GFG recipe - using Honeyville's blanched almond flour instead of Bob's Red Mill. Sometimes I find the taste of sorghum flour a bit too strong so I used a mixture of sorghum flour AND brown rice flour, subbed canola oil for the olive oil, and used a flax "egg".
Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl:
- 1 cup Honeyville blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt (NOT kosher salt)
- 1.5 tsp. xanthan gum
Mix/"cream" these together in another bowl:
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar (or honey, maple syrup, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal mixed with 6 Tbsp. water
- Make flax "egg" and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, or until it starts to get gel-like. Then mix with other liquid ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture to the creamed sugar mix.
- If too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp. almond milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- Stir until mix has a dough-like consistency.
- Stir in, by hand, 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or pecans, hazelnuts, other favorite nut)
- Cover bowl and chill the dough for 30 minutes in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 Celsius) and prepare baking sheet. Line sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop little balls of dough onto lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart, and press dough balls down just a bit to flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 18-19 minutes, until cookies are golden. I ended up slightly burning my first batch, and ended up being WAY TOO hard to eat after they cooled. Learn from my mistake ; )
- Remove cookies with spatula, place on cooling rack.