Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Roasted Golden Beets and Sweet Potato

I used to hate beets. Well to be completely honest, I never gave them a fair chance. I assumed that I hated them. You know, those canned red beets that have the consistency (and look) of jello? Eww. But not these little gems...

Golden Beets
I had never been properly introduced, you see. After spending more than my fair share of time at the Whole Foods salad bar this past year (I never had access to a Whole Foods before where I lived, tragic, I know), I decided to try out the roasted red beets they always seem to offer. Hmm... not too bad. Earthy. Slightly sweet. Strangely pleasing to my palate. Now pair them with some roasted sweet potatoes... and we're talking business! Woo hoo!

Ingredients
  • 1 bunch of beets, or 5-6 medium beets, leaves removed
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
  • some olive oil (or other vegetable oil), I didn't measure
  • 1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • any other spices or herbs you might like (rosemary, thyme, etc.)

Tops of beets cut off. 

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
  2. If you haven't peeled the beets and sweet potatoes, do so now.
  3. In a small bowl, toss the beets with approx. 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Spread the beets out on a cooking tray lined with parchment paper (or a greased tray). Place in oven and bake for about 17 minutes. 
  4. Now mix together some olive oil (3 Tbsp?), and any spices you are using along with the garlic and onion. Now throw in the sweet potato. Mix all up.
  5. Remove tray with beets from oven, and add the sweet potatoes to them. Return to oven and bake an additional 35-40 minutes.
What to do with these beet greens? Eat them, of course.
Wash them, chop 'em up, boil in water for a minute or two. (steam or even sautee). Drain.
Season with salt and pepper, and maybe even some vegan butter!

If you're feeling extra adventurous, you could throw them into the blender with some frozen fruit for a super healthy green smoothie.



No comments:

Post a Comment